Sunday, September 28, 2008

Getting lost in the mountains


Yesterday Jacob, Anna, Nathan and Mike went on a hike while Jennifer did some girly thing. We headed up American Fork Canyon and ended up having a much larger adventure than we had bargained for. Our one hour hike turned into a 3 hour sojourn into the wilderness. Here's an explanation in Anna and Jacob's own words.

From Anna -
We were first having fun before we got lost. We saw really pretty leaves because they were changing colors. Some people on horses told us the way to go, and they were wrong. The signs were not right, and we got lost. I was afraid we were going to spend the night in wilderness. I asked daddy if we could say a prayer, and we stopped and had a prayer. And then a bike rider came and told us it was only 1 mile to the road. Today I am so sore. Next time we need to bring a map if we never been there before.

From Jacob -
When we went on a hike I started out as the fastest and did not see the horse "do do" until I stepped in it. When we got lost the horse people told us the wrong way to go. Anna kept on complaining and kept saying "what if a bird comes and takes me away, or a bear comes to eat me." I was scared because we only had 1 melted cookie left. I had a bike chain weapon that I found on the ground. After the biker showed us the right way we had to walk through streams, and I just ran through them. I loved the adventure.

So there you have it. Anna's advice is sound -- next time we'll bring a map. :-)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gail said...

Well, Eagle Scout, what REALLY happened??? Sounds pretty scary but we need to hear the whole story --- how did you get lost in the first place???? You know I love ya, Mike!! ;)

Mike and Jen D said...

Hey, I knew we'd be OK. Kind of. :-) We got lost simply because I did not bring the map. It was our first time on this trail and the description on the web looked straitforward, but obviously not enough.

Good to hear from you guys. If you make it to Utah please stop by and see us.